green

americangothicw.jpg
we like to dress up

with the gorgeous weather this weekend, the boyfriend and I became one with the land, in the suburban-apartment-dwelling sort of way. I decided to take the opportunity to finally plant the herb garden I’ve been wanting for a while and dragged him along. I had one during grad school and loved being able to cook with what I grew, what a better time to do it again than during project spectrum’s green month. after figuring out what we could fit on our balcony we headed out to one of the gardening places in town.

herbs.jpg
yes, I’m a professional photographer…so what.

I decided to grab a few herbs that I end up buying all the time anyway (like basil and parsley) or that I would like to buy but are hard to find (or expensive when you do) such as lemon grass (I’m already dreaming of all the thai recipes I can finally follow). we ended up with 10 different herbs (though hard to see in the pic) in our basket, all are organic as is the soil. we couldn’t find small containers we liked for all of them, but we got lucky and found they had whiskey barrels available. one was plenty big for our little garden and I think it looks so much better than what I had originally planned. it was so easy to just pour in all the soil and then plan out where in the huge “pot” to plant them in. I liked it so much that I’m already planning for another barrel and what to grow next. I’m thinking tomatoes, peppers, and lettuce with maybe garlic in the fall.
our happy time outside though was almost thwarted when nature struck. I noticed that there was some weird cocoon hanging out in our balcony and I had no clue what it was. as I was cleaning up I saw the head of some alien-being (other wise known as a wasp) pop out and then it hid again. I did what any normal scaredy-cat would do, hurried the hell up to run back inside. I was too slow and saw it fly out of its nest.

crying_girl.jpg
how the mighty have fallen

thankfully I have a boyfriend who is even more scared of bugs than me. after some planning time, that involved hiding behind the sliding glass door, staring at the the wasps from this side of the screen door, and curling up into a ball to find his special place he came up with something!

flamethrower.jpg
it was just like this except with more fire, less boobs, and more pleather. really.

my love likes to protect us, what can I say. he almost burned down the apartment, but that thing learned its lesson. don’t be building nests around these parts! the saddest part was when the alien flew back and was all confused when it couldn’t find its home. it kept looping around like it was trying to retrace its steps. don’t judge me! here look at some knitting:

dragonskin.jpg

I’m happy to say that even though I hated knitting with this yarn at the start (it’s so freaking splitty), I am loving the result. the sock fits perfectly and the yarn feels great on my foot. to be honest, I didn’t expect it to be so nice but maybe I was just begrudging it since it hurts my wrist. the yarn actually reminds me of a thinner version of ggh goa with a higher cotton content and pretty multi-colors. I’m loving the way the stitch pattern knit up and how it broke up the colors. I’ll probably still knit the second sock in reverse just to see what the scales look like then. I’ve stalled now that I’m at the heel since I’m scared about it being too tight around the ankle. I’ll either do some pattern reshuffling or change needles (or most likely keep on knitting), but I better hurry since my doppelganger is at the exact same point of the socks.

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

• amanda May 23, 2006 at 5:24 pm

I love your pictures. Especially the pic of you and the honey all dressed up. And splitty or not, the yarn and pattern come together wonderfully!

• Dave May 23, 2006 at 5:27 pm

The sock is looking good. It’s nice to see all that movement without a bunch of holes, i.e. lace. What stitch pattern is it?
    P.S. So glad you survived the alien invasion πŸ™‚

• Angela May 23, 2006 at 5:28 pm

Hilarious! Way to go on your sock!

• Joelene May 23, 2006 at 5:43 pm

You crack me up! Seriosuly! I am thinkin that the sock pattern is going to work on the leg with no adjustments, or maybe I crazy…. we shall see…
    American Gothic, eh? Well you do know they are father and daughter right… you did go to art school right?

• yahaira May 23, 2006 at 5:46 pm

brat! yes
    I took artistic license thank you very much πŸ˜›

• Jennifer May 23, 2006 at 6:12 pm

*shudder* wasps. We had a huge nest of them in our old house. RM took a wasp killer pesticide to them and got rid of them.

• nichola May 23, 2006 at 6:39 pm

you murderers!!! poor little wasps.

• yahaira May 23, 2006 at 6:40 pm

no wasps were hurt in the burning of the nest. the nest is another story

• Stephanie May 23, 2006 at 6:55 pm

Gawd, you’re funny. I wish I could have seen you running for cover. Makes me laugh just thinking about it. I’m glad the planting and killing (or home burning or whatever) went well. Love the sock.

• Liz May 23, 2006 at 7:02 pm

okay a little oedipal painting references (or does oedipal apply here… is it an Elektra complex… i think you went to art school and all)… in any case, you 2 look fabulous… I am aassuming that this portrait was taken post wasp hunting.
    COOL socks what pattern are they? And splitty yarn or not, they are going to be the bestest coloured socks ever.

• aquaknits May 23, 2006 at 7:11 pm

Great story! While I am a huge animal lover, bugs are another thing…and anything that stings can consider itself a goner if it comes anywhere near this city girl. We had couple of wasps come into our apt last summer through a tiny space at the top of one of our windows. I think my expression looked alot like that child’s.

• Manasi May 23, 2006 at 7:14 pm

Hi yahaira,
    I got your comment. You have some lovely yarn too πŸ™‚
    The ‘queen’s jewels’ are self striping or variegated (depending on the project) i.e. the yarn would change color every 8-9 inches.
    Thanks

• gleek May 23, 2006 at 8:15 pm

oh no! i hate wasps. glad to hear that you evicted them πŸ™‚
    i love that sock pattern. what is it again?

• Chris May 23, 2006 at 9:54 pm

Aw, you couldn’t fix the American Gothic to look more Charlie’s Angels? ;p
    More pleather?! I wanna se more pleather!
    Sock is looking great. πŸ™‚

• Amelia May 24, 2006 at 2:51 am

I love the colour of the socks. Sometimes it’s worth working with yarn that’s a little on the annoying side when the results look really good – I think that this might be one of those cases.

• kris May 24, 2006 at 3:10 am

what, you couldn’t get a picture of the pleather? what do you think i read you for?
    so glad to hear you’re ok, though. alien invasions are no joke.

• carrie m May 24, 2006 at 10:36 am

oh, how i hate pests! i am also known to scream, cry and panic. such a girly girl.
    thought of you as we flew over eastern pa yesterday. does that count? : )

• Melissa May 24, 2006 at 11:48 am

Your herbs look great! I need to keep the pigeons away from mine πŸ™‚ I have successfully grown tomatoes in containers the past three years…you should try it!

• Steph May 24, 2006 at 12:19 pm

haha, so funny! Now where’s the hat???

• Peeve May 24, 2006 at 7:40 pm

Wasps are scary. One of our cats has ended up at the vet because she batted at one with her paw!

• Stacey May 25, 2006 at 9:12 am

Garden and sock are looking good! (I have to get moving on both of mine!)

• aja May 25, 2006 at 4:15 pm

I wear pleather too when I garden!! Ok, not really. But I too have a little mini herb garden going on my apt balcony. Two plants already died. I suck. But your socks rock.

• Vicki May 29, 2006 at 2:42 pm

Yummy herb garden! Those big barrels are a great idea. I highly recommend tomatoes – they grow great in pots like that. We’ve got racoons that steal most of ours but I still try every year. The socks are looking fab – the colors are breaking up perfectly.

• Jessica May 30, 2006 at 11:03 am

these socks are fabulous! nice work.